Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just In Case You Ever Wondered....

Since last week was our first ever Week of Questions, I've had questions on the brain.

A while back, I gave all of you an opportunity to ask me anything you've ever wondered about kids with special needs.  No one asked a question so I took that to mean that I have been so forthcoming with incredibly informative and enlightening wisdom, you couldn't even think of anything to ask me.

That is what happened, right?

Whatever the reason, I thought I'd share something with you today.

One of my very favorite blogs is called Love That Max, written by Ellen, the mom of a son who has cerebral palsy.  I've learned quite a bit from her posts - plus she's got a great sense of humor.

Ellen recently began a new blog on the Parents Magazine website called To The Max and one of her very first posts was titled, "People's Questions About Kids With Special Needs, Answered".  I thought it offered some great insight into what can be a sensitive subject.  Ellen offers some tips on typical children and kids with special needs interaction that I think you'll find especially helpful.

And remember, the offer still stands.

You can always feel free to ask me a question - that is, if you can come up with something I've not already covered with my incredibly informative and enlightening wisdom.

Good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, thank you for that nice shout out, I needed that today as I deal with hurricane aftermath! I am pleased you find me funny. My kids most definitely do not. Except when I burp.

    OK, here is a question for you: What's your favorite way to pick yourself up when you're a little bummed out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen - I'm glad the timing of the shout out made you smile just a bit. I'm sorry to hear that you might be bummed out - and after looking at your blog today, I think Irene might have a little something to do with that, am I right?

    Normally, I would say organizing something usually takes my mind off of things and helps me feel a little "in control" when things seem out of control. But I think that might not work for you right now as I think you'll be organizing things the next couple of weeks just to get your house back in order!

    My second piece of advice would usually be to check yourself into a nice hotel and get a massage and room service - have 24 hours all to yourself. But you're already in a hotel.... Hmmm.... any chance your husband might let you have your own room??? :)

    So, here's what I say - Call a friend and go to lunch. Yes, you have an extra thousand things to do on top of the thousand things you normally do each day but it can wait for a little while. Call Staples and see if you can tip some nice young man to gather up all those school supplies that you're faced with buying AGAIN. Take a nap. Watch an incredibly brainless TV show - one where you can actually feel your IQ dropping. Let Sabrina eat Chuck E Cheese until she never wants to go there again. And find a good book to read right before you go to bed - I recommend The Help, if you haven't read it yet. Then get those chores knocked out and promise yourself when it's all done, you can DEFINITELY get a massage! And a new pair of shoes....

    If all else fails, you can jump on a plane and come to Austin, where we're roasting in the heat (110 degrees!) and dry as a bone from the drought! There have actually been two cases reported by the fire department of mulch spontaneously combusting! Ridiculous....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...