Monday, August 22, 2011

Welcome to the "Week of Questions"


I thought it might be fun to get some dialogue going this week.

So every day, I'm going to ask you a question.  You can answer in the comments, on Facebook or the Twitter, or even by emailing me.

I'll also answer the question myself because I wouldn't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do myself.  I'm nice that way.

Doesn't that sound easy?  And like so much fun?

Of course, it will only be fun if all of you answer, too.  If I'm asking a question and I'm the only one that answers it, that won't be considered dialogue and won't be fun at all.

So talk to me, ok?

The Question for Monday is....

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Most of you probably already know this, but anytime I was asked this question as a kid, I always answered, "A teacher and a mom."

I come from a family of teachers, coaches, principals, and superintendents so I think it's in my blood. But I knew from the moment I realized people worked for a living that I wanted to teach elementary school.

I also knew that I wanted to have kids and when that happened, I wanted to be at home to raise them myself and in my words, "just be a mom".

Little did I know that "just being a mom" would be (and still is!) the harder of the two jobs.

When I grew up (which is still a work in progress...), I did just those things.  I taught third grade and kindergarten.  Then I quit teaching when I had Ryley and haven't been back in a classroom full-time for almost 18 years.

And now, I'm "just a mom".

OK - your turn:

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?












15 comments:

  1. I wanted to be a country singer but I'm pretty bad at singing so I then set my sights on teaching high school and coaching track. In 2007 I got a job here in Austin teaching/coaching track at Travis High School but I quit teaching about 3 years later to pursue our business so that I could stay home and have my dream job of being a mommy. I am going to link up this post to my blog and see if I can contine this conversation over at GottaRun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a nurse. But circumstances beyond my own control prevented me from going to school. However later on in my twenties, I was an EMT and one step away from Paramedic. Was involved in EMS for about 6 years. It was great. Never did go to school, but developed a lot of care giving skills that I have been able to use through the years with friends and family members in times of great need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to be the first woman on the United States Supreme Court. I'm glad Sandra Day O'Connor went ahead and took that spot. I loved being a school teacher and a mom instead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny - I still wish I could sing! :) I'll check in at Gotta Run and see what folks are saying over there.

    Teresa - I NEVER wanted to be a nurse but I have felt like one more days than I can count.

    Sharon - WOW - that was quite a goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far back as I can remember a teacher and a mom is exactly what I wanted to be too! I taught 3rd grade and 1st grade before Connor was born. I love both jobs, but I must say I am SO thankful that I get to be "just a mom" now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to be a US Ambassador...but was never appointed. I was a flight attendant (that's close, right ? :) ), a dental hygienist, a travel agent, a corporate meeting planner, business owner and manager of an entrepreneur named Dean. All fun and exciting vocations BUT my current role is my favorite...being a grandma to Ryley, Reagan, Lily and Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to remember and I don't think I had one thing that I always wanted to be. I think I was very fickle! One year, a teacher. One year, a veterinarian. One year, a dancer. On and on. In my 1st year of college, a professor told me, you should major in PR! They plan company parties! Sure, sounds good to me, sign me up! I switched my major from business (which had too much math for my taste, anyway) to journalism/public relations. I can say with certainty there is no party planning involved but I have been doing it for 13 years now and still quite enjoy it. So I guess the professor was right...? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristin - See? Teaching does run in our family!

    Vickie - I had so many friends from other countries while in college, that my mom always thought I might marry an ambassador! Instead, I married your son! :)

    Whitney - Good thing you weren't totally sold on the party planning thing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. A teacher and a mom, and God blessed me with the chance to do both, but not really at the same time, thank goodness. I remember playing teacher to my younger sister's student. I remember having her set up at the end of the kitchen and making her recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I made my own worksheets by hand and made her do them. She was really quite great about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Amy - you and I sound so much alike. I liked nothing better than bossing around my little brother and cousins, playing school. Of course, no one but me ever got to be the teacher. Thankfully, they were all pretty nice about it and let me "teach" them....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to be a nun and a mom until I was reminded that we weren't Catholic and that nuns don't become moms.
    Cool result is that I am blessed to be the Mom of two loving and handsome young men and have been gifted with the heart of a servant which has given me many wonderful "nun-like" opportunities. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I really wanted to be a dancer! I realized by high school that while I loved dancing and was pretty good at it for a small town high school drill team and studio, I probably wouldn't be able to cut it in the real world. Many years later I can hardly sit still when watching my favorite dance show, So You Think You Can Dance. :)

    I also always knew I would be a mom, because my mom is awesome and I wanted to be like her. The moment I held my first niece (when I was 20) cemented what I always had known in my heart. Three babies later I couldn't be happier. I am still working on being as awesome as my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Darla - Your story cracked me up!

    Madeline - I think you're a great dancer AND a great mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wanted to be a Disney princess actress..yes...that's right...:)
    What?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Espy - All this time, I thought you WERE a Disney princess...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...