Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Question for Wednesday


Based on your response to yesterday's question, I guess most of my blog readers are sharp dressers!
I could tell you more stories of my unfortunate fashion mishaps but I think it's time to move on to the question for today:

What was the first concert you ever attended?

Now, I grew up in Houston and my dad was a policeman there for many years.  Part of being a policeman is working "extra jobs" to earn a little additional money.

One of my dad's "extra jobs" was working security for concerts.  Since he had an insider's view to what goes on at many concerts, I was severely deprived as a child and forbidden to attend any.  

In the words of my dad, "Everyone is either drunk or high and all it takes is one idiot pulling out a gun and you will die."  With that glowing recommendation ringing in my ears, I lived in fear of concert goers for most of my growing up years. 

It wasn't until my junior year of college that I finally got my chance to go to my first concert.  I was still a little leery of the prospect of death, but it seemed like a safe venue since it was an outdoor ampitheater at the Texas State Fair.

My first concert?  Don Henley.  Whom I simply love.

You do know who he is, don't you?

Don Henley of The Eagles fame?

I enjoyed every minute of it.  But I did have to admit to my dad that he was right.  The majority of the concert attendees did appear to be quite... ahem... inebriated.  And the man directly in front of me was indulging in something a tad bit stronger.

In fact, when Don (his closest fans such as me call him that) started sharing about a cause near and dear to his heart, the "indulgent" man in front of me yelled, "Shut up and sing!" in a rather loud and obnoxious manner.

It was a little alarming.  And quite rude. 

But at least I made it out alive.

Now let's talk about you:

What was the first concert you ever attended?

Talk to me, people.  Don't be shy!


15 comments:

  1. OK, I'll show my age. My first concert was also in an ampitheatre where I saw Harry Belfonte perform. I thought all of his 'ad libs' were so spontaneous and clever until at work later, others who had heard him were laughing at all the same ad libs. Ok well, no one said I was sophisticated or in the know... lgm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my very first concert was Hank Williams JR as a young boy - in our high school auditorium. He was dressed in cowboy glitz and sang his father's songs. I had to really think about it to remember my "first" concert because, like you, my daddy forbid me to go to any concerts. And, like you, when I later did attend some as a full-grown married woman most of the people around me fit the description you gave. At one outdoor concert in Austin (back in the Aquafest days on Auditorium Shores) there was also a very strong odor in the air (the source of which was explained to me by somone else; I was not familiar with it personally!). I felt very guilty (my daddy's voice was still with me) even though I was doing nothing wrong. A less "exciting" concert that I remember fondly--and also dates me considerably--is John Davidson. My parents actually supported me and a girl friend going to see him, and we got to drive to the big city of Houston (one hour from where I lived) to see him. It was quite an adventure at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm..well I didn't go to any concerts til I was in my mid twenties....yep. Then it was to the Rodeo at the Houston Astrodome. Saw Dolly Parton and George Strait. It was great. I still love all kinds of music though, but was raised up listening to blue grass and real country music...legends like Eddy Arnold, Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Jimmy Dean, Minnie Pearl and Grand Old Opry Show, people like them. Also Tennessee Ernie Ford! My favorite love growing up though was Elvis Presley....to me there will never be another Elvis, nor Tennesee Ernie Ford. My age is showing Mary....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! I totally laughed out loud at y'all's answers!

    (well, except for Amy G because she gave a "Sunday School" answer. :) Just teasing you, Amy!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garth Brooks when I was in 8th grade. and not a single concert has topped it since

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I have to comment even though you don't know me because I love this question! And yes, I know Don Henley and am super jealous that you saw him! My first concert was Rick Springfield and Corey Hart was opening for him. It was awesome and I heart RS to this day. We were on the front row and I got to touch the girl beside me who touched his shoe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. KISS,at the Summit in Houston 1976.I might know your Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny - I've heard he does an amazing show but never been myself...

    Kim - I'm pretty sure I know who you are.... I'm laughing at you touching the girl beside you who touched his shoe.... :) Didn't Rick just come to Austin not too long ago for a concert??

    And Anon - I'll ask my dad if he worked a KISS concert. Maybe you two can reconnect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad also forbade concerts -- though not because he actually had any experience with them -- thought he might have been at the Belefonte series with the first commenter!

    My first concert was Nine Inch Nails at the Agora in Cleveland. It was 1994.

    Yeah. I liked to live dangerously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barry Manilow ... yes I said "Barry Manilow". If you don't mind, I'm off to hide under a rock right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you see me sticking my tongue out at you, Lana? Actually, when I got to thinking about it, Amy Grant was the first one without the parents. My first one was probably Barbara Mandrell and the Statler Brothers with my parents. I'm not sure which one is was more G-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom2LittleMiss - WOW. You broke out the big guns for your first concert... :)

    Jeff - Don't feel bad. Ryan saw Barry Manilow, too. Maybe you and he can reminisce together sometime.

    Amy G - It's OK, Amy. You are a good girl - even if you do stick your tongue out occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay...I still can't believe it, but my first "real" concert was MADONNA!! It was her Like a Virgin tour!! I went with my best friend, whose parents were strict, strict Baptists!
    The only thing I can think is that neither set of parents really knew who Madonna was??? I simply cannot believe her father drove us to Dallas to see her. Crazy.

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth - That's funny! Maybe the "Virgin" thing threw the parents off??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...