Friday, June 24, 2011

Summer Reading

It's Friday.

The weekend is here.

And it's summer.

So let's talk books.

Many of you know, I love to read.  I mean, I really love to read.  Click here if you need evidence of my addiction.

And like most readers, I'm always on the lookout for new authors and new books.

My most favorite kind of "mindless escape" book is mystery and suspense.  Not horror or too much blood and guts kind of thing.  Just a nice mystery - one or two dead bodies is acceptable.

My favorite mystery author is Mary Higgins Clark.  But here's the problem - the woman only puts out one book a year.

And I can read much faster than that.

Hello, Mary!  I'm talking to you.... Write Faster, Lady!!!

My favorite Christian mystery writers are Randy Singer (similar to John Grisham) and Terri Blackstock. But I've read all of their books.

So I need more!

One our recent trip to Aspen, I read "Caught" by Harlen Coben and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was a really good mystery with no bad language.  I'll be reading more of him this summer.

I've really gotten caught up in some memoir type books, too, like "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls.

And for some strange reason, since I don't really like to spend too much time in the kitchen, I find myself drawn to what I call "storybook cookbooks".  These books are basically memoirs with a few recipes thrown in.  For example, "My Life From Scratch" by Gesine Bullock-Prado (Sandra Bullock's sister, by the way) "Home Cooking:  A Writer in the Kitchen" by Laurie Colwin, and "A Homemade Life" by Molly Wizenberg.

I think I love hearing them talk about food because I love to eat.  But it also brings to mind many happy memories centered around food and family.

Don't even get me started on the Mitford books by Jan Karon.  I am in love with those books.  And so Jan Karon did what all authors do when they have a huge following of people who love a particular series.  She ended it.  It almost brings tears to my eyes.

So, let's do this.

I'll ask a couple of questions and you answer them by way of leaving a comment here or on Facebook or Twitter.  Heck, you can even email me and I'll move your answer over here myself.  Sounds fun, right?

Two things, though -

Please don't leave me hanging.  Nothing's worse than asking a question and hearing crickets chirping instead of an answer.

And I'm really sorry for those of you still having trouble leaving a comment.  I am a computer dunce and while I wish I could help you, I simply can't.  Click here to read a post from Reagan with a comment tutorial and maybe that will help.  Facebook comments are super easy so at least try that!

OK - question time!

What are your favorite kinds of books?

Who's your favorite author?

What are some of the best books you've ever read?

Let the comments fly!

And have a great weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I am an avid reader as well. I have so many authors I enjoy, it is too hard to pick out just one because they are all good in the areas in which they choose to write. I like to read "series" books in order. Drives me nuts if I can't..

    I really enjoyed the book series by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander, Drums of Autumn, to name 2 out of the 8 in the series) This series is about time travel, history, romance, and mystery all rolled into one. It can get pretty specific in areas, but overall, her writing is excellent.
    Her latest book in the series " An Echo in the Bone".

    Another author is Jean Auld. She wrote the Clan of the Cavee Bear series and just recently came out with another book "Land of Painted Caves". I know a lot of people read the first book probably in high school, but these are a great series as well.

    I also simply love Florence Littauer and her books. (Personality Tree, Silver Boxes, and many more!) She is such an encourager and is funny. A great Christian Author

    Same can be said for Patsy Clairmont, who is hysterical and can bring hilarity and joy into your life just by picking up one of her books to read..Cracked Pots, All Cracked Up and many more.

    On a more serious note...I thoroughly enjoyed Don Piper (not to be confused with John Piper) and his books "90 minutes in Heaven" which is a true story about himself. He has been an ordained minister since 1985. At the time this book was written he was on his way home from The Baptist General Convention. This is a book that will rock your world and give you great insight to "pain and suffering" as well as the reality of heaven. LOVED THIS BOOK! Would highly recommend it. He has another one out called "Heaven is Real".

    My favorite book and author, I guess because it was such a great help to me at a difficult time in my life is LIFETIME GUARANTEE by Bill Gilham. I was acquainted with Bill and his wife Annabel, while they were members of a church that my husband and I were members of several years ago.
    This book really opened my eyes about my own personal relationship with the Lord and why that is the most important thing in life. I could go on, but that is a story that would take up too much time here.

    I have a wide variety of tastes in books, however I still have my mindless escape books, which are usually the Intrigue series (mystery suspense romance) that Harlequin puts out. Those are fast, pick up and put down. They have a plot, a hero, and usually a romance involved in the mystery and suspense.

    Hope this is a start for you Lana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are your favorite kinds of books?

    Historical fiction, Biblical fiction, mysteries, memoirs

    Who's your favorite author?

    I don't actually have a favorite author!

    What are some of the best books you've ever read?

    A Thousand Splendid Suns (my favorite book)

    The Other Boleyn Girl

    The Red Tent

    The Shack

    Follow the River

    Redeeming Love

    Same Kind of Different as Me

    Ted Dekker's Circle Trilogy (even though there are 4 books, not 3... technically not a trilogy) -- Black, Red, White and Green (Green actually wasn't that good. The other 3 were amazing.)

    The Help

    The Year She Fell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a historical fiction nut, and I probably love Jan Karon as much as you do. As a child, it was Laura Ingalls Wilder, Louisa May Alcott, and the Anne of Green Gables series. Francine Rivers is probably my favorite Christian writer, and you can find her books in the BBC library. Since you like mysteries, you might enjoy the Southern Sisters Mysteries by Ann George and the Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross. They're mysteries, but they're hysterical!!! Completely light reading. They're all set in the south, so as a fellow East Texan, you'll relate and laugh A LOT. You won't find them in the church library, but they're about as clean as you can get. I could talk books all day. Let me know if you try any of these and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOH Lana...forgot one..Sheryl Woods. Great author. Does a lot of "series" books. They are extremely relaxing because they take you either to the beach or east coast country. Characters usually have some kind of issue they are dealing with or recovering from, how they deal with it..a romance is usually thrown in. Pretty clean writing too. This is probably the author I have read more of recently.

    Guess I am not really good at doing book reviews though...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I guess with this comment, I am officially no longer a stalker, but an actual participant :)

    What are your favorite kinds of books?

    The ones with actual spines - I love the feel and smell of real book - just can't convert to the digital way yet, even though I am a huge fan of technology. I have always loved to read too.

    I am a huge non fiction fan - history, autobiographies and such. I also love learning about the brain and how shame can be associated with so many behaviors - has really aided in connecting with so many people. :)

    Who's your favorite author?

    Not sure that I have one- oh, the horror!
    I should select one perhaps sooo I really like Brene' Brown (hum, was this provoked by shame?? I should probably read some more of her books! ha!)

    What are some of the best books you've ever read?

    I enjoy a fast read as my attention span can be equal to that of a gnat, so... Although a tough read, I really loved the 3 book series beginning with A Child Called It, The Lost Boy and A Man Named Dave -- such victory over so many challenges!!! -- I also really enjoyed Heaven is for Real, Friendship for Grownups, The Gifts of Imperfection - I could go on and on, but am guessing you can relate.

    btw - have you heard of the website Shelfai.com ? It is a neat way to log your reads, soon to reads, etc. and offers an opportunity to post your views and opinions on books you've read, plus you can monitor which books you want, have, or have loaned out.
    Yet another fantastic topic, 'mam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if anyone has heard of Bodie Thoene, but I LOVE all of her books. Christian based historical fiction. They are all great, but I really recommend The Zion Chronicles, Zion Covenant, and A.D. Chronicles. Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...