Monday, June 27, 2011

No One Can Say They Have Nothing To Read

Well.

After Friday's post, I discovered that many of us have a love of reading in common.

You can read Friday's comments for yourself but since I also got some some Facebook and email suggestions, I thought I would compile a list of authors and books so we have it all in one place.  Then you can print out the list and head to the bookstore or the library.

I'm helpful that way.

So, without further ado,  I give you.... The List.

From Lana -
Mary Higgins Clark
Jan Karon
Randy Singer
Harlen Coben
Jeannette Walls - Half Broke Horses
Gesine Bullock-Prado - My Life From Scratch
Laurie Colwin - Home Cooking:  A Writer in the Kitchen
Molly Wizenberg - A Homemade Life

From Malita -
Dee Henderson
Karen Kingsbury (Redemption series)
Robert Whitlow

From Steve (aka "Mr. Smarty-Pants" whose book suggestions might be over my head!) -
James Hornfischer - Ship of Ghosts
John Parshall & Tony Tully - Shattered Sword
Kyle Thompson - A Thousand Cups of Rice

From Veronica -
A Thousand Splendid Suns
Blood Brothers
The Red Tent
The Help

From Teresa -
Diana Gabaldon (8 books in series)
Jean Auld (Clan of the Cave Bear series)
Florence Littauer
Patsy Clairmont
Don Piper (90 Minutes in Heaven)
Bill Gilham (Lifetime Guarantee)
Sheryl Woods
Intrigue series from Harlequin

From Whitney -
A Thousand Splendid Suns (second vote for this one!)
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Red Tent (second vote for this one!)
The Shack
Follow the River
Redeeming Love
Same Kind of Different as Me (one of Ryley's all time favorites, too!)
The Help (another second vote!)
The Year She Fell
Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker (Black, Red, White, & Green)

From Amy G -
Southern Sisters Mysteries - Ann George
Miss Julia series - Ann B. Ross
Francine Rivers

From Darla -
Brene' Brown
A Child Called It
The Lost Boy
A Man Named Dave
Heaven is For Real
Friendship for Grown-ups
The Gifts of Imperfection

From Linda C -
Maeve Binchy
Terri Blackstock
Michael Connelly
Dominique Dunn
Lisa Gardner
Robert Goolrick
Tami Hoag
Beverly Lewis
Louise Penny
Ann Rule
Lisa Scottoline
Stephen White

From Linda M -
What are your favorite kinds of books?
I really enjoy English-setting stories.  I like the old Pride & Prejudice type books.  I love mysteries also, but not the 'sit-on-the-edge' of your chair.   I don't enjoy tense!!!  I like the 'sleuth' to be clever - like Perry Mason or Hercule Poirot.

Who's your favorite author?
Belva Plain
Mauve Binchy
Nicholas Evans
Rex Stout
Nicholas Sparks
Robert B. Parker - until he started getting so crude
Richard Paul Evans
Jan Karon (of course)
Lori Wick
Jane Austen
Patricia Sprinkle

What are some of the best books you've ever read?
Rebecca, Daphne DeMaurier - years ago, but a favorite
A lantern in her hands - real old pioneer story
Jane Eyre
Too many more to try & list 






Linda C also told me about an amazing website called www.fantasticfiction.com that I think all of you readers will love.  According to the site, there are bibliographies for over 30,000 authors and information on over 350,000 books.  That should keep you busy for a while!

And Darla shared a website called www.shelfari.com where you can create a virtual bookshelf to "display" books you've read, are currently reading or want to read.  You can discover new books, see what other people are reading, and read and write plot summaries.  Sounds like a great way to keep your reading organized and connect with other book lovers.  Might be more effective than the TBR list (To Be Read) I keep wadded up in the bottom of my purse.

The only trouble with all these great suggestions is that I don't think I have enough years left to read them all.  But I'm going to give it my best shot!

Enjoy your Monday and Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I love to get new authors and books to read. Thanks for the post Lana.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...