Thursday, January 20, 2011

Love, Hate & My Personal Baker

As I'm typing this morning, I'm experiencing a strong love-hate moment.

I need to get these things off my chest so I can move on and tell you something good.

The Love -
The temperature outside is dropping rapidly.  Like, an hour ago it was 61 degrees and now it's 47.  If I had a thermometer outside, I could actually watch the mercury drop like the New Year ball in Times Square. I love cold weather.  Or I guess I should clarify and say, I love cold weather when I'm inside, snuggled under a blanket by the fireplace with a good book.  Or when I can wear cute sweaters and boots.  Moments like that are rare in these parts so we have to take full advantage of them when they do happen.

The Hate -
My allergies are getting the best of me.  I've been sparring with them for a couple weeks now and have been the victor.  Until yesterday.  They rallied their little germy troops and have me down for the count. I broke out the big guns though and just took a Benadryl.  In the daytime.  So if this post ends up looking something like this:

It's such a nice day here in Austttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

you'll know that I fell asleep with my face on the keyboard.  I'll try to type quickly so that doesn't happen.

Now that I've taken care of business, on to the good stuff!

I recently made a new friend.

The best kind of new friend.

A friend who bakes..... for a living.

And my new friend doesn't just bake any old treats.  She bakes gluten-free/casein-free treats.

And the best part?  They are good.

Actually, they're amazing.

In the name of research, I have personally consumed molasses cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, sweet potato-pecan scones, biscuits, crescent rolls, flour tortillas, cinnamon rolls, and homemade graham crackers.

These are just a few of the many, many treats my friend bakes so you can rest assured that my research will continue until I've tasted every last one of them.

I just want to make sure these goodies are truly delicious before I feed them to Lily.

I know, I know.  I'm a very selfless mother.  It's just the way I am.

There's not a dessert out there I won't try for my daughter.

But how much fun is it for you to just read about all these yummy treats?

For those of you who live in Austin, my new friend can be your new friend, too.  You can have these same treats yourself!

All you have to do is leave a comment or send me an email (alongcamethebird@gmail.com) and I'll hook you up with Darcy, my new baker friend.

She'll send you a weekly email with her "treat offerings".  You'll be surprised at all the items she has to offer.  You can then place an order and she will deliver delicious, home-baked goodies right to you.

Or frozen cookie dough logs that you can slice and bake yourself.

Or individually frozen biscuits that you thaw and slide in the oven for a warm and yummy breakfast.

The list goes on and on...

Considering how much money and time I've wasted trying out gfcf recipes only to throw them straight into the trash can, I think you'll find these treats very reasonably priced.

And nothing will go in your garbage.

Now, for those of you who don't live in Austin.... I am sorry.  I got nothin' for you.

Except maybe one or two of my own delicious gfcf recipes.  You'll have to bake them yourself but if you want them, I'd be happy to share.

So tell me what you want... recipes?  or Darcy?

4 comments:

  1. It's Jodi, again. Recipes, please! I also want some good crock-pot recipes! You've inspired me to let the crock pot work, so I don't have to. I still LOVE the low-fat chicken enchilada recipe you made for us a million years ago...(not in the crock-pot, though :)

    Congratulations to Ryan on his new book!!! I'm actually READING a book right now and I thought that was a big deal! He WROTE one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lana-
    LOVE the blog also love my crock pot! Roasts are the best and I have several favs I can share!

    Can you give me the information on the cook- I have a good friend that has 2 girls that she just found out they both have celiac disease and she is in a panic about the food change.

    Thanks-
    Melissa P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jodi - I'll get some recipes up for you soon. I can't believe you still have that chicken enchilada recipe! Does anyone in your family need to do gluten free?

    Melissa - Would love for you to share favorite crock-pot recipes. Maybe you could email a couple (alongcamethebird@gmail.com) and I can transfer them onto a post.
    My gluten free baker friend's name is Darcy and you can contact her at:
    foodasart@yahoo.com and darcysglutenfree@gmail.com. I would send an email to both addresses. Tell your friend not to worry - it's a change but it's not as hard as it seems. I'd be happy to help is she wants to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us has to do gluten free, but maybe it's better for us? Guy's sister has to do the gluten free, though, so I'll pass on the recipes to her.

    I only do roasts in the slow cooker, so any other recipes would be great from you and Melissa. Thanks! :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...