Saturday, January 8, 2011

Is There a Deeper Meaning?

I'm not one of those people who wakes up in the morning, remembering what they dreamed.

I think it's probably because I'm so tired by the time I hit the pillow that I don't have the brain energy it would take to come up with a dream, let alone remember it in the morning.

But Wednesday night was a little different.

I went to bed like normal.

Normal means I read until my eyes start to blur or until the book falls on my nose.

That's usually about two sentences - five on a good night.

So anyway, I'm in some deep REM sleep and I start dreaming.

In my dream, I'm packing.

Like putting clothes in suitcases, books in boxes... that kind of thing.

It doesn't appear that we're actually moving.  And I can't really tell if we're about to go on a trip.  I just know I'm packing some things up.

And while I'm not stressed out necessarily, I do feel a little sense of urgency while I'm doing this packing.  Like I have to hurry and get it done.

I wake up in the middle of the night with this dream fresh in my mind and actually feeling a little sense of alarm.

Now comes the strange part.

I fall back asleep and have the same dream again.

Well, not exactly the same.

I'm in a different location but I'm still packing.  And still feeling this sense of needing to hurry and get the job done.

Ryan and all the girls are there with me and I tell one of them that we need to be sure and return some library books that are sitting on a desk.

Then I wake up for the second time that night, the packing dream at the front of my mind.

I'm getting a little frustrated at this point because I don't like to be awake in the middle of the night. Uninterrupted sleep is one of the highlights of my life.

So I roll over and fall back asleep.

Now comes the strangest part.

I dream the same thing for the third time!!!

More urgent packing.

This is really starting to tick me off because I don't know why I'm putting things in suitcases.  If I could catch a glimpse of airline tickets or passports on a desk, I might calm down and think we were going on vacation.

But no - just this silly endless packing.

My alarm goes off and I wake up thinking about the dream.

Or dreams, I should say.

And I realize I'm not in a super mood.

I'm feeling pretty agitated and tense.

Not because of uninterrupted sleep but because of this goofy dream that kept playing like a bad rerun.

Ever since then, I've been attempting to psychoanalyze myself to discover the hidden meaning of the dream.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

  • I was having flashbacks to all the times I've moved.
  • We have too many books and clothes in our house.
  • I was trying to remind myself to return some library books.
  • I should apply for a job with a moving company.
  • I need a vacation.
Personally, I like the last one best.  

I'm currently searching for a doctor who will write me a prescription for a vacation.

Any doctor who may be reading this and is willing to help me out, feel free to leave a comment.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...