Thursday, September 30, 2010

Lucky Me



If you would please indulge me for a moment, I'd like to brag on my sweet husband.

Ryan and I facilitate a special needs support group at church and we met last Wednesday night.  The topic of this meeting was marriage so Ryan and I had to do a little "prep work" to get ready.

Namely, talk about our marriage.  Now this can be a dangerous subject depending on what we are addressing about our marriage.

For example, if we are discussing my extreme need to be the "Ultimate Victor" in any argument, er... I mean, discussion we may be having, this will more than likely not be a pleasant conversation.

But if we're discussing, say, how glad Ryan is that he gets to go to work everyday because he knows he could never do my job and would run out of the house screaming at the top of his lungs and and how he knows he could never replace me.... well, that discussion would go very well.

I think you understand what I'm saying.

Anyway, marriage is tough enough in the best of situations.  But add a special needs child to the mix and tough doesn't even begin to describe it.

But instead of "checking out", Ryan jumped right into the mix with me.  

We read books, did online research, visited with countless doctors and therapists, changed Lily's diet, spent thousands of dollars on special needs products, collected poop and urine samples for wacky tests, and mixed nutritional supplement "cocktails" on a daily basis.

A nurse even called us "Barnes & Noble" instead of Ryan and Lana! 

Granted, Ryan typically reads the portions of books I've highlighted for him and I'm pretty much responsible for dietary interventions, but he has been involved from Day One.  

He takes Lily to therapy almost as often as I do.  

He is more than willing to get down on the floor and play with Lily or take her out to the trampoline.  

He takes her for walks up and down our street and sits on the front porch rocking chairs with her.  

He goes to parent training meetings with me and actually participates.  

He wrote Lily's first Task Analysis sheet himself and got her to pick up toys in her room when prompted.  Amazing!

For a man who hates to grocery shop, he has taken many trips to downtown Austin Whole Foods Market for special dietary items - a store that can give even the most dedicated "foodie" a migraine.

In short, my husband is my partner.  And as we continue to navigate our way through the world of special needs, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I can count on him to be right there with me through it all, no matter what.

I am one lucky lady.


  














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...