Thursday, January 5, 2012

What I Got For Christmas

Before you officially start reading, I just wanted to let those of you who are wondering if I'm ever going to talk about anything else know that this will be the last post referencing Christmas.  Even I know it's time to move on....

Hey - did you know that Santa brought me some good stuff, too?

Since I started the Couch to 5K program, I've been in need of a new pair of running shoes.  My previous pair had gotten a hole in the left little toe side of the shoe.  The hole was getting larger after every run - to the point where running on the Hike & Bike Trail meant gravel and dirt easily working its way in.

I'm enough of a reluctant runner that I look for any excuse to stop and a sandbox in my shoe was a good one.  But I am trying really hard to keep this up so new shoes were in order - if for no other reason than to remove the excuse to stop running.

Of course, I wanted good shoes that would hold up well but my priority was "cute".  I wanted some of those really colorful shoes I see all up and down the trail.  Yes, I'm huffing and puffing but can't a girl try to look snazzy while doing so??  I was convinced that cute, colorful shoes were just the motivation I needed to keep running.

So I was really happy to find these under the tree:



Fun, huh?  I'm sure that I'm running faster, jumping higher, and looking good while doing so...

I also got a Kindle, something I swore I'd never do.  In fact, my oldest thinks I've crossed over to the dark side and is totally and thoroughly disgusted with me.  I think she truly believes I can no longer call myself a reader.

We do love real books around the Rush house.  And my Ryley can be a tad bit obsessive about books - click here to read the proof.

I didn't get the fancy new Kindle because I didn't want a backlit screen.



I like the idea that it looks like a real book page and it doesn't hurt my eyes like a computer screen will.

But what really sold me?

The library I frequent allows you to check out e-books.  I don't even have to go to the library anymore!  Now, I love me some free books.  But free books I don't even have to go pick up or return?  Can I get an Amen??

Ryley gave me a Sonic gift card.  But... wait for it.  It's in the exact amount of not one, not two, but seven Route 44 Diet Dr. Peppers with Vanilla, my drink of choice.  She knows me well.

And Reagan knitted me a beautiful shawl/wrap/scarf:


It can be worn all kinds of different ways so if you would like to see what it looks like on an actual human, you can click here.

As I'm putting this post together, I have no make-up on and I'm too vain to take photos of me in my shawl.  But every time I've worn it, someone tells me they like and asks where I got it.  They're always surprised when I tell them Reagan made it for me.

So - what about you?  Did Santa bring you something good this year?  Spill it!

9 comments:

  1. Cute shoes! I definitely think cute shoes help the workout! Your post reminds me of when my sister was teaching elementary school and one of her students was literally running everywhere he went - to the pencil sharpener, between classes, etc. She finally asked him to please stop running and he said, "But I got new shoes!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shoes...definitely will see you coming and going! I love my Kindle! I look at it as I don't have to have a lot of books cluttering my bookshelves, night stands...well you get the picture. I now only have my really favorite books that I have in paperback/hardback on my shelves now that I have my Kindle. It is great to have the free books, but purchasing is a breeze and guess what...sometimes they are even cheaper! I know you will love it as you get used to it. I love mine and I have had it for over a year now. I too haven't upgraded to the new one (it is more like a tab) yet....but who knows, maybe one day I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, have loved your Christmas stories! LOVE the shawl and totally want those shoes! ;) I have a feeling you're going to become very attached to your Kindle.

    My favorite gifts: K-cups, "One Thousand Gifts", a camera and a polka-dotted sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was shaking my head (with Ryley) over your conversion to the Kindle . . but your comment about free e-books from the library intrigued me . . . and I trust your counsel and advice . . . so, I may even investigate and at least consider . . . .

    The shawl is BEAUTIFUL, and your running shoes are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! You're so inspiring with your running- you deserve some cute shoes.

    I got a new camera bag this year! I'm hoping that maybe when we get our tax return I can fill it up with a new lens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You racked up! I am quite envious of those shoes and the scarf.

    John got me a new phone so I could at least be a part of this century. I still haven't figured out how to use it though. You'd think I was 80 and not 34 by how clueless I am with technology.

    I'm just now getting a chance to check up on blogs over the past few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whitney - Every time we went tennis shoe shopping for my little brother, he would run around the store and start jumping as high as he could. Then he would run back over to me and my mom and ask if he was running faster and jumping higher. That was his sole criteria for a shoe purchase. :)

    Teresa - I'm afraid I'm already falling in love with the convenience of the Kindle, and I'm just getting started! Yikes!

    Suzanne - Now we just need to see a picture of you (taken with the new camera) in the polka-dot sweater, drinking some coffee made from a k-cup and reading 1000 Gifts! :)

    Mary - When Ryley read your comment, she called me (and I quote) "a big, fat stumbling block". I'm trying not to take it personally but now she's worried that I'm leading others to the dark side with me.....

    Amy G - Where'd you go???

    Christy - I hope you get your new lens!

    Allie - I'm really the same way with technology. My phone does much more stuff than I use it for and I get nervous every time someone tries to teach me something else it can do. I just know I'm going to push some button that EVERYONE knows you don't touch and I'll ruin something....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful shawl.... And I am a tried and true Kindle lover - did you know Lynn Huboda's new anthology (wit and wisdom from the parents of specal needs kids) isnow out on Kindle? I just downloaded it last night and it's a page turner!

    My favorite Christmas gifts were a snazzy new sweater from the hubs and the most comfortable slippers ever <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...