Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oh Joy!

Back around the time of Lily's 6th birthday in late September, we did something a little different and a little bit out of our comfort zone.

We were approached by a sweet pastor friend with a heartfelt question - could he gather some pastors from around the city and bring them together on one night to pray for our sweet Lily Bird?

Now let me clarify something.  We are never against anyone praying for our baby girl.  But I knew this would be a little different.  These pastors are from all different denominations and do things a little differently than what my good ol' Baptist upbringing is used to.

And like has happened so many times since the birth of Lily, I knew this would be a learning experience; another opportunity for my faith to grow and stretch.  It never hurts my good ol' Baptist upbringing to shake things up a bit.     

A date was set.

For one whole hour, this amazing group of pastors, along with their wives, prayed over Lily Bird.  Sometimes, one voice, clear and strong.  And sometimes, a steady hum of quiet voices tumbling over one another.



It was the sweetest sound I've heard this side of Heaven.

And I want you to know - Lily sat there for 45 minutes of it, just like she knew something special was going on and she didn't want to miss it.

Did Lily rise up from the gathering, eloquently speaking like nothing was ever wrong?

No.

But let me tell you what did happen.

My heart was broken, then lovingly and tenderly knitted back together.  My sorrow was replaced with joy.  I left that gathering feeling bold, reminded that I could ask God for anything at all.  I left with the gift of hope deep in my bones, courtesy of these pastors who love and pray for my family every single day.

About two weeks later, we had our monthly phone call with Dr. Goldberg.

Towards the end of the phone call, he brought up Lily's blood work, which we have done once a month for the past year.

Now let me clarify one thing here real quick.  The entire basis of Dr. G's treatment has been built around this theory:  if we can increase the IgG's, then the white cell count should increase, and then Lily's body should be able to fight off the virus on its own, just the way the human body has been designed by God to perform.  But it's been a lot of if's and should's for the last year.  With no changes.
   
And once a month for the past twelve months, we hear the same news - Lily's IgG's are still rock bottom, therefore her white cell count is still rock bottom, therefore the virus is still running rampant through her brain.

Until October 16, 2012.

All of sudden, for no physical reason at all, Lily's IgG numbers increased.  As a result, her white cell count increased.  Just like it's supposed to do.  With no changes in medicine or diet or therapy or treatment of any kind.

Dr. Goldberg asked us if anything was different, trying to account for this sudden increase in numbers that we haven't seen for an entire year.

What was different?

Oh, nothing much.

Except for that amazing group of pastors who came together to pray for one of their own.  That amazing group of pastors who firmly believe that God still performs miracles.  That amazing group of pastors who reminded this mama that God has not forgotten my baby girl.

Thank you, Jesus.

We will be doing another round of bloodwork the week before Thanksgiving.  Will the numbers show another increase? Will they be the same?  Or worse, have dropped back down again?

I don't know.

But here's what I do know - There is beauty in brokenness. There is hope in heartbreak. And there is joy in sorrow.  I choose beauty.  I choose hope.  And I choose joy.



 Taken from Beth Moore's Praying God's Word Day by Day:
Nothing on earth compares to the strength God is willing to interject into lives caught in the act of believing.

"Father, so often I feel like the boy's father who first exclaimed, "I do believe!" then in a flood of sincerity cried out, "Help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24). Please help me overcome my own unbelief, Lord, so I can start taking You at Your word. I pray that the eyes of my heart may be enlightened in order that I may know the hope to which You have called me, the riches of Your glorious inheritance in the saints, and Your incomparably great power to us who believe. (Eph. 1:18-19). As You did for the jailer who received salvation through the witness of Paul and Silas, fill me with joy when I choose to believe You (Acts 16:34)."



6 comments:

  1. This gave me goosebumps! Praying right along with everyone else for more good news from Lily's next round of blood work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to say... other than "bless her." Bless her little heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears. What a beautiful post and miracle. God is with us always. I am a firm believer that he has purpose in everything we undergo whether we understand it or not. Absolutely lovely. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still for 45 minutes ... that, too, is a miracle. For all you shared ... for answered prayer ... Yes, thank You, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So encouraging! Glad you shared.
    Candace R

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brings tears to my eyes. Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...