Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fruit Snacks - Round 2

I think we all know that my first attempt at making all-natural fruit snacks was a dismal failure.

Click here in case you missed it.

But I am happy to report that my second attempt was a winner.

I know you'll be shocked to hear that I found the recipe on Pinterest.  Take a look at these pretty little things from the blog, The Mommypotamus:

All natural Sour Gummy Stars (5-minute prep) from Mommypotamus

Now, take a look at my version:

Photo: This time, a fruit snack success.  http://instagr.am/p/Rk51n6wSEU/

Not quite as shiny or cute but the Bird and I were both satisfied with the end result and that's all that really matters.

Couple notes here for anyone interested in giving them a go -

As suggested by so many of you (and not written in the directions of either recipe!), spray the mold of your choice with non-stick cooking spray.  Which seems like a total "duh" thing but I didn't do it the first time.

I just used good old Knox unflavored gelatin but will use all-natural gelatin the next time I make these.  Gotta keep with that "all-natural" theme, right?

Since I made these with lemon juice, I used yellow India Tree all natural food coloring.

And lastly, since Lily loves all things sour, I'll add the optional lemon extract next time to give the fruit snacks even more tartness. 

Want the recipe?  Well, here you go!

Sour Gummy Stars

Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons grassfed gelatin
  • 1/3 cup lemon/lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons honey (where to buy good quality honey)
  • Optional – Non-toxic, vegetable-based food coloring ( I used India Tree)
  • Optional – A few drops of lemon extract or food grade lemon oil for increased pucker factor

Easy Peasy Instructions:

  1. Whisk lemon/lime juice, honey and gelatin in a sauce pan until there are no lumps.
  2. Heat over low heat until it’s nice and melty, stirring constantly.
  3. Add food coloring and/or extract  if desired – you’re almost done now!
  4. Grab an ice cube tray or silicone mold (I don’t recommend silicone usually but since we’re not baking with it here I think it’s fine). You can use a basic pan, too, and then just cut into squares or use a cookie cutter after it’s set.
  5. Pour in the mixture, then pop in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up. Once they’re out of the freezer they will stay firm at room temperature.
  6. Enjoy!
Oh! One more thing.... be sure to pay a visit to The Mommypotamus blog for more great information on healthy living.

3 comments:

  1. My kids will love these, they love tart! Adding this to my list of things I want to make. :)
    kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah... non-stick *soy-spray*... I mean cooking spray. Rats. OK... first I find a replacement for that and then I am TOTALLY back for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...