Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Ramblings of a Crazy Lady

Something has been simmering in the back of my mind, lately.  And it keeps resurfacing at various moments throughout the day so that's usually my cue to pay attention.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by asking you a question:  What do you do when you're feeling a little stressed out?  Or when you're having a bad day?

When I get some bad news or am feeling overwhelmed, my first reaction is often a strong desire to escape. To hit the sheets for a nice, long nap.  Or to read the kind of book in which no learning of any kind takes place.

In other words, my first reaction is to simply run away.

But not to physically run.

As in putting two feet in front of the other at a quick pace.  Or as Merriam Webster defines it, to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step.

That kind of running away sounds like sweating could be involved.

And I'm not a big fan of sweat.

In fact, about the only way I'd be guaranteed to actually run is if you put a belt made of bacon around my waist and released a pack of hungry dogs.

But lately, when I'm feeling a little stressed, mixed in with my feeling of escape is a tiny, tiny twinge of pent-up energy that needs a release.  And it feels like I need to release it through running.

And Lord knows that since I passed the big 4-0 marker two years ago, I could certainly stand to do some kind of moving.

So here's the deal.

I'm seriously considering doing the Couch to 5K Program.  It's for nine weeks and only requires you to exercise three times per week.

My oldest daughter is interested in walking/running along with me and I thought it might be fun to celebrate the end of our nine week adventure by actually running in a real 5K. (who is this person writing today's post??)

Why am I telling you this?

So that you can have the freedom to hold me accountable.  To ask me how the program is coming.  To request to see the medal I'm going to receive when I win that 5K race.

Oh, I jest.

But maybe you can ask to see my participant ribbon.

So, how many of you are runners out there?  Or at least movers of some sort?  Do you think I can do this?  Keep in mind I have 42 year old knees....

And for those who aren't, what do you do when you need a little escape from life?

17 comments:

  1. I have done Couch to 5K, it works. Its not fun (well, I hate to exercise) but I did run a 5K after the 9 weeks and then promptly stopped running - oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a runner, but I need an easy plan to work out. So your post may have inspired me to give this program a try. I ran a half-marathon in college and like "anonymous" quickly retired my running shoes after. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scoff at 42! Try being the 63 year old mother of a 42 year old. You have inspired me. I just finished my first work out and lived to tell about it. Okay, Kristin and all you other "kids"....you have been officially challenged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought couch potato to 5K was fun! Until I hurt my back. I made it through week 7-so close! You should try it, it starts off slow enough that you don't get burnt out.

    I also choose to nap or read or bake and eat brownies to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blame it on the diet restrictions.... you have officially gone insane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring it on!! I love doing this kinda stuff ....I will be your cheerleader and your running buddy if you need one...you can do it!! AND it's a great excuse to buy new running shoes..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how Mimi threw down the gauntlet. Now you gotta do it! I do love to workout but I really hate to run. But no matter what you choose, I bet you will feel better and less stressed afterwards! I always do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lana, Danny and I are doing Couch to 5K right now. We'd run a 5K with you and Ryley. Maybe we could challenge others at church and all go together? Then come back to the campus and eat pancakes? :) We'd be up for it! Bet we could raise money for something, too...
    Lisa Wellman
    lisa dot farrar dot wellman at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lana, You can do it! You will feel good about your accomplishment and be less stressed too! You can't lose that way. Miss y'all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am REALLY excited for you!!! I know you can do it! Can't wait to read the updates. If you have any questions or concerns I can help. I used to coach high school track and cross country. HAPPY RUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I just finished my first walk/run this morning. And I can promise all of you that I'll be bragging BIG time!

    And Karla - I do think the diet has pushed me over the edge but I guess I'll try to do something while I'm going down! :)

    Jenny - Thanks. You'll be the first one I call when my feet hurt, I have shin splints, and I'm just ready to eat a doughnut!

    Lisa - Let's do it! We'll talk...

    Espy - You know you had me at new shoes, right??

    And to my mom - IT'S ON!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never heard of this! I know you mean business when you hit "publish" for a post like this! That's what I did when I went on the Weight Watchers plan. But I have not incorporated exercise into my scheme yet and this looks very good so thanks for the link and the inspiration!! Go girl!! As they say... Just do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You need to buy some of those really cute running outfits. They will make you stay the course!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can totally do this! A 5K is nothing once you start running. Just be consistent and you can make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think its a great stress reliever because you don't even have to think about running while you are doing it...just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I like to use my running time to converse with God and get mentally ready for my day. I am actually running in my first event ever this Sunday. It is a 10 Miler and I am really nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen - I found out about it through someone I follow on Twitter. And yes, I totally put this on the blog in the hopes that if lots of people knew about it, I would be more motivated to actually do it!

    Vickie - I fully intend to celebrate the halfway mark with new running shoes and a cute outfit or two! Even more motivation to keep running!

    Leslie - Thanks for the encouragement!

    Madeline - That's what I'm hoping - that I'll soon reach the point where I can think about something else while running rather than how loud I'm breathing or how bad the cramp in my side hurts or how..... :) Good luck in your 10 Miler - I'm very impressed with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. of course you can do it! it is a pace that supports 42 year old knees, probably the age i first downloaded that app. it is much better with a friend! better than that is calculating the amount of calories you burn whilst jogging!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...