But here's the trouble...
It's now almost 4 PM on Friday afternoon and my brain has pretty much already checked out for the weekend. Plus, I'm about to leave to pick up the Bird from school. There's just not much time to fill you in on all the things I'd like to.
So you know what that means - a list! Here we go...
1. Ryley and her dad have the Athletic Banquet tonight so I'll be on "hair duty". For Ryley, that is. Ryan's on his own.
2. I'll also be supervising Reagan cleaning her room the way I like it so that she can go to a birthday party tonight. No clean room = no party. I'm mean that way.
3. I baked my Mamaw Askew's teacakes this afternoon and I can't help thinking how happy she would be to see all of my daughters (her great-granddaughters) munching on her cookies. She loved to feed all of us! Here's the recipe in case you'd like to enjoy some this weekend. These are big, almost white, pillowy cookies that are perfect for dunking, if you enjoy that type of thing.
2 cups sugar
1 cup Crisco
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp lemon extract
Mix well. Add 5 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp baking powder. Roll out (will need additional flour in dough and on rolling surface for this step). Cut with biscuit cutters. Bake at 400 for at least 6 minutes - longer if you like crunchy cookies.
4. I ran into the mall yesterday to grab a pair of brown leggings, which I found at JC Penny not for the regular price of $18 but for $8! Then because I was floating on the "unexpected sale cloud", I decided to pop into J Crew, where their sale stuff is still more than I like to pay. I had spotted a cute little linen dress a couple of months ago but it was $98 stinkin' dollars. A few weeks ago, it had dropped to $49. Better, but still too much. Well, my "unexpected sale cloud" didn't let me down. That cute little dress was marked down to $29 and is now hanging in my closet. That is what I call a successful trip to the mall.
5. On the flip side, I did not have a successful trip to Target. Because I am old, I use toothpaste for sensitive teeth. I am in need of a new tube of Colgate Sensitive. I have been to Target twice now and have still failed to pick up the needed toothpaste. The first trip, I didn't have it written on the list. It's always comical how I think I will actually remember to get something if it's not written down. But the second trip, I not only had it written on the list, I actually crossed it off the list without putting any in my buggy. And I have absolutely no memory of it! Like, I'm wondering if I simply wandered down the toothpaste aisle and said to myself, "Yep, there's the toothpaste" and crossed it off my list like I was on some sort of scavenger hunt. Bottom line - I am definitely old and definitely still in need of some Colgate.
6. We are planning to do a little hunting this weekend. We have a critter, whom I strongly suspect is of the armadillo species, digging in my flower beds for grubs. Every morning, I wake up to newly turned over mulch and have to sweep the sidewalk. I am planning to treat my beds to get rid of the grubs but I think our redneck roots are coming out just a bit in that we're all a little excited about trapping a varmint. If we catch something, I'll try to get pictures to share with all of you. You know you want to see it.
7. My favorite day of the month was yesterday, Thursday. I met up with my moms of special needs kids group. I can't even express to you how much I love these women. They are strong, compassionate, self-sacrificing and incredibly intelligent ladies who love all their kids unconditionally and are willing to do whatever it takes for them. There's not a doctor in the bunch but you wouldn't know it listening to them talk about biomedical treatments, food labels and ingredients, and drug intervention. They put their hearts on the line for their kids every single day and refuse to give up hope. I so admire each one of them and feel so blessed to be in the group.
8. Finally, I have a couple of way exciting things planned for the blog next week. I'll be having my first ever give-away! You won't want to miss it so be sure and check in Monday morning! I'll post a reminder Sunday afternoon. It's big, people!
Make some cookies, kiss your spouse, hug your kiddos, and have a great weekend!