Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Reading

One of these days, I'm going to get around to revamping the blog just a bit to include a few new features.

And since so many of us around here love them, I want a page dedicated specifically to books.  See those red words at the top there, just under the blog title?  I would add another one called, 'The Stacks" where all of us book nerds could come together and share what we're reading.

But until that day of blog revamping comes around, you'll just have to settle for the occasional post about books.

Which is exactly what we're talking about today.

From top to bottom, here's what's currently in my stack:


Mourn Not Your Dead by Deborah Crombie - Book 4 in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Scotland Yard detective series.  Though not my favorite mystery series, these are still enjoyable if you like a good "whodunit".

The Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir by Katrina Kenison - I'm not done with this book yet but oh my word.  It's like the author read my mind and heart and then wrote it down for all to read.  This says so much of what I'm feeling at this exact moment of in my life.  I love, love, love this book.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain - I'm excited to read this because I've heard so much good stuff about it.  And since I consider myself and one of my daughters to be an introvert, I'm thinking I'll gain some understanding and insight into our personalities.

The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau - Since Ryan has a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit, the girls and I bought him this for Father's Day.  But he's talked about it so much that I'm about to start reading it myself. The idea of taking something I already love to do and turning it into some additional income is definitely intriguing.

Daddy's Gone A-Hunting by Mary Higgins Clark - Another good old-fashioned mystery by one of my favorite authors.

Stuck by Jennie Allen - This is actually not a book but a Bible study that I'm doing with two of my friends.  If I were totally honest, I've felt stuck for quite some time now.  Stuck in fear.  Anger.  Discontentment.  And I'm tired of being stuck.  So I'm hoping this study gets me UNstuck - or at least on a path towards it. 

So have you read any of these? If so, what did you think?  Got some must-reads on your own summer reading list?  Please do share.


4 comments:

  1. The Power of a Praying Woman by Stormie Omartian -I am in the process of reading The Power of A Praying Woman and doing the study that goes along with it. It has really blessed my heart. I have read most of her books and this is a real refresher.

    The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children also by Stormie Omartian - I also have the Power of Praying for Your Adult Children. this one I am half way through and WOW! This is a challenge and spiritual battle to read this book, but oh so worth it.

    A Place of Quiet Rest by Nancy Leigh Demoss - Am about halfway through this one as well. Great as a devotional too.

    I usually only read one book at a time, and I am finding it is really hard to read more than one at a time and get all I need to from them. So, I am sticking with finishing up the first one and will pick up the second one to finish it. The last book is great for calming my spirit and easy enough to read a chapter at night every now and then.

    I just love reading! Especially on these long, hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends from school has started his own mystery series staring historian/finder-of-lost things, Jack Sullivan. They're set in Cleveland. Now, the first book wasn't my favorite (it was OK... but...) but I LOVED the second one (and I'm not even a ghost story/mystery person! Check Out William Krejci on Amazon -- he just released his third book on Friday.

    In the mean time, I might need to check out that $100-start up book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading Quiet. It really gave me a lot of insight when it comes to my introverted son, and even myself...the way I have always been makes sense to me now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Quiet. My husband read it, too (well, half of it anyway), which made for some great discussion about the way we schedule our days and how we do things--really helpful stuff. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...