Tuesday, March 10, 2015

For Your Listening Pleasure

Down here in Katy, Texas, it's Spring Break.

And for lots of us, Spring Break means doing a little traveling.

Back in my day, traveling meant loading up the green Oldsmobile, listening to whatever country music was on the radio, reading Nancy Drew nonstop and constantly reminding my little brother to stay on his side of the imaginary line in the backseat.

Today's kids have got it good - bucket seats, built-in DVD players, iPods, iPads, Spotify, Netflix....

But what about the parents riding along up there in the front seat, being forced to listen to "Let it Go" until they're ready to actually let it go - right over a bridge.

Have I got the solution for you:

NPR's This American Life podcasts.



This American Life is a weekly public radio show. Each episode has a theme and a few stories on that theme. Most of the stories are true and about ordinary, everyday people. Sound boring? Well, it's not.  If you love words and stories like I do, you're going to love it.

So put the headphones on those kiddos because here's a few of my favorites to get you started:

Switched at Birth

Dr. Gilmer and Mr. Hyde

The Seven Things You're Not Supposed to Talk About

Batman

House on Loon Lake

Notes on Camp

And I can't leave out The Alibi , the episode that launched This American Life's first spin-off show called Serial. According to the website, "Serial tells one story - a true story - over the course of an entire season. Each season, we'll follow a plot and characters wherever they take us. And we won't know what happens until we get there, not long before you get there with us. Each week we bring you the next chapter in the story, so it's important to listen to the episodes in order, starting with Episode 1."

And I hate to sound bossy (except not really), but if we are friends at all, you will listen to Serial. All 12 episodes. And you will get sucked in. You will be able to think of almost nothing else. You will discuss it with your friends. You will take sides. And you will come back here and tell me what side you're on. And you will thank me. So, I'll just go ahead and say it....

You're welcome.


4 comments:

  1. Lana, I wanted to get this this message to your folks but did not know how other than here. My Dad is in this third week of hospice. Could you please let your parents know for me, Our Fathers always had a special relationship. All prayers are much appreciated. Btw in case you were wondering I will always put my name on anything I post. Take care. Thank you Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear this news, Greg. And I'm sorry I'm just now seeing your message. I'll pass it along to my dad and of course, we'll be praying.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...