Monday, February 9, 2015

No More R-Word

I remember Kasey Studdard from his football playing days at the University of Texas.

I knew a little bit about him, mostly the kind of stuff you pick up from TV announcers in between game plays. But what I didn't know is that Kasey used to be a special education student.

I'm sharing an article he wrote for Medium because this is a subject that is near and dear to my heart. As the parent of a child with special needs, I love it when people like Kasey use their platform to bring attention to an issue that needs to be talked about so that positive change can occur.

See if this doesn't get your attention:


Click here to read Kasey's article. 

I also wrote a little more of my thoughts on this subject back in 2011 in case you're interested. 


2 comments:

  1. Knowing that Kasey Studard has a learning disability inspired my 12 year old son who has ADHD, APD, dyslexia and dysgraphia to work even harder knowing his future is not limited. He plays soccer, basketball and lacrosse and for the first time this year realized his challenges could stop his chances of playing sports(In order to play school sports you must be passing every class to play). He wasn't going to let that happen. He worked harder than ever before with his classroom teachers, resource room teacher, tutors, me and on his own. I am very proud that he has kept passing grades in all of his classes so far this year. In fact currently the lowest is a 70! He will keep Kasey in his head as lacrosse season begins soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome, Ann! Positive role models are so important and I'm happy that your son has found one in Kasey. I hope he has a great lacrosse season!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...